Thursday, September 8, 2011

Random Thoughts

Psalm 94:11
The LORD knows the thoughts of man,
that they are futile.


My church called a fast this week, and I for one am glad about it. I have been praying to the Lord, and telling Him how much I desire really want to get my life back to that disciplined place that it was about a year ago. Once I found out that I was pregnant, and "morning" sickness subsequently kicked in, I let myself slide on daily devotions and such.

And once my son was born and the diagnosis came down, all I wanted to do was crawl into a hole and eat chocolate cake. Of course I cried out to the Lord during that time. I thought I was losing my mind, while simultaneously falling into a black pit. But when I called out to the Lord during that storm, it WASN'T for relationship, it was for survival. I was in a place where I knew if God didn't do it (pull me out of the darkness), it wasn't gonna get done.

Anyway, today is my "fast" start day (even though everyone else started this past Tuesday), and I feel really good about it. I opened my scripture reading today with the story of Gideon. He defeated the army of Midian with 300 men, and freed the Israelites from (yet another) captivity. During my reading, and just in general some random thoughts popped into my head.

Things That Keep Me in Awe of God

  • God is faithful. It's so cliche to say, but it's so true. The Israelites (and Mrs. Mocha) were just so determined t get off track, but when they cried out to the Lord for help and deliverance, He answered their calls with mercy, grace and love.
  • God is patient. Enough said.
  • God is gracious. God doesn't go around throwing what He's done for us in our faces. He reminds us, but not with arrogance.
  • God is merciful. I can personally say that God has NEVER ONCE given me what I deserved. Knowing myself the way that I do, I can honestly say that based on behavior alone (we won't even take thoughts or words into consideration) I deserve hell, hell, and more hell every second of every day. And I have had some hell in my life, but the magnitude has been buffered lovingly by God, so that I'm chastised, but not defeated.
  • God is funny.
  • God is loving.
  • God is gentle. Again, God has had to "deal" with me on several occasions. But once I come out of the storm and can see clearly, I'm always blown by how God has handled me with kid-gloves, rather than giving me what I deserve.
  • God is patient. Did I say that already? It bears repeating.
  • God is amazing.
  • God is on His own time clock. Time in the natural is of absolutely no consequence to Him. What we expect to happen and when is our business.
  • God is forgiving.
  • God is kind.
  • God is strict. He doesn't take too kindly to a lot of foolishness.
  • God can not/ will not be bribed. You can try to cut "deals" with the Lord if you want to. Most of time, you're fooling yourself.
  • God is unbiased. "Good works" can't get you into the good graces of God. He gives gifts without works, and time & chance happen to us all.
  • God is unchanging. Yesterday. Today. Tomorrow. He remains the same.
  • God is mind-blowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment