Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In This Season

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

 1 To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven:
       2 A time to be born, And a time to die;
      A time to plant, And a time to pluck what is planted;
       3 A time to kill, And a time to heal;
      A time to break down, And a time to build up;
       4 A time to weep, And a time to laugh;
      A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
       5 A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones;
      A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
       6 A time to gain, And a time to lose;
      A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
       7 A time to tear, And a time to sew;
      A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;
       8 A time to love, And a time to hate;
      A time of war, And a time of peace.


This is my season. I don't mean that in the "holier-than-thou", "name it & claim it" way. I mean it exactly the way it sounds. This is my season. Autumn is my season. My ABSOLUTE favorite time of year.

For me, Autumn symbolizes rebirth. Which is weird, since Autumn is usually the time of year where nature begins it's death cycle, to actually be reborn again in the spring. But still, in my mind's eye, Autumn is about rebirth. School starts, which is the rebirth of learning. The green of the leaves begins to change into glorious hues, which is the rebirth of nature's beauty (to me). The holidays begin to approach, which is the rebirth of extended family-togetherness. My birthday comes, and it's the rebirth of me. I just love Autumn.

There's football, and Girl/Boy Scouts, and Mocha Mom meetings, and the school board committee, and apple picking, and pumpkin patches, and nature walks, and warm beverages served while steaming hot, and there's a crispness beneath the comfortable breeze, and the days get shorter, and the a.c. gets turned off, while the windows are opened, and fresh air abounds, and the clothes are cuter, and jackets come out, and I just feel soooo free and easy.

Last Autumn, I was 8/9 months pregnant. And it was so apropos, so appropriate that I would be completely filled to the brim with life, at the time of year that figuratively fills me with life. I was soooo happy. Exuberant even. It was one of the best times of my life.

How good is God to give us seasons, in our season? 

No comments:

Post a Comment