Sunday, August 14, 2011

Starting with the Demolition

II Corithians 10:5 says:
We demolish arguments and
every pretension that sets
itself up against the knowledge of God,
and we take captive every thought to
make it obedient to Christ.

This is one of my favorite scriptures, because it spells out th practical application of the verse. A lot of times, people quote scripture and you're left feeling like, "Okay. Great. Thanks." Not really knowing how that quote can work in your life.

But with this scripture, the author tells you point blank, that you can take any thought (negative, wrong, out of order or otherwise) captive. Often times, when I find myself thinking about how I just wanna punch somebody, or (even more relevantly) how I'm getting older and my fertility is slipping through my fingers like so much sand through an hourglass, I visualize myself reaching into the sky (where ugly thoughts form), catching the destructive thought, ripping it down from it's perch, and smashing it to the ground. Sometimes, I even step on it roughly, like an unwanted cigarette (smile). And the thought that I have the power to do that, makes me feel TOTALLY in control. Like I don't have to be an unwitting participant in life. I can be active, and take a role in the disposition I display to others.

As I walk this walk of trying to conceive my third child, I often find myself wondering if it will ever happen. If  will ever again be able to experience the feeling of life, growing and flourishing inside of me. And I feel so discouraged and down at the thought that my last child, may really be my last child. Then I remember that it's in God's hands. And I can be encouraged while I wait. And it's okay for me to be positive while I wait. And I don't have let negative thoughts wander through the garden of my mind, as satan wandered through the Garden of Eden, looking for whom he could devour. And I'm glad about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment