Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Body

1 Corinthians 9:26-27

26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim;
I box in such a way, as not beating the air;
27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave,
so that, after I have preached to others,
I myself will not be disqualified.

Although it may not be obvious by the things I write, say out loud, or even the things that I sometimes think in the privacy of my own mind, I actually LOVE my body. It's the best body, ever.

Now, don't get me wrong...it's a fat body, an overweight body, and an in-questionable-shape body, but I really do love my body. My body is completely obedient! Never once have I worked to bring my body under submission, and it didn't respond.

I remember I tried my first diet, senior year of high school. I stuck faithfully by the diet (starved myself, and even did some questionable things, like force myself to throw up if I ever indulged in something I shouldn't have), did a few exercises that I picked up from TEEN Magazine, and lost weight. I was able to fit into clothes that I hadn't worn since freshman year, and looked good in my swim suit, and even better in my prom dress.

When I got tired of having chronically short hair, I stopped going to the hair salon, and cared for my hair at home. I discovered what worked best for my hair, and it started to grow like a weed. I went from having hair that was the length of a "pixie" cut, to hair that now drapes below my shoulders. And I've been able to maintain this length since 1999.

Again, when I playfully hopped on a scale in late 2007, and realized that I was as big as a cow, I started an eating plan and a work out regiment, and lost 50lbs in about 4 to 5 months.

My body is soooooo obedient. If I do right by it, it waste no time in doing right by me. Unfortunately, sometimes I'm like a distracted parent. I don't pay enough attention to me body. I go about life, giving my attention to other things, until my body starts to "act out." Then, I give it just enough of what it needs so that it "shuts up" and "leaves me alone." I personally don't think that's an effective way to raise children. So, why do I think it's cool to "raise" my body that way?

My body needs attention. It needs guidance. It needs discipline. It needs care. It needs love. And it's already proven time after time what it can achieve if it's given these elements. The rest is basically up to me. And I need to get on it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment