Wednesday, January 18, 2012

31 Days of Worship ~ Celebrating and Sympathy

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely,
whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy
—think about such things.
     A few months ago, a sweet friend of mine informed me that she was pregnant. This information stung for a few reasons. The first being that I was trying LONG before she even considered trying. A second being that the last time she announced a pregnancy to me, I was celebrating my own pregnancy with K.20. Another being that she got pregnant very quickly. And a fourth being that she is older than I am.

     The information wasn't delivered in a nasty way, or with any malice whatsoever, but still...it stung. However, I was able to offer her congratulations, and as I conveyed the words, I actually felt my heart begin to change. I actually was happy for her and her husband. I actually meant what I said about praying with them, that they would add a precious daughter to their brood of 3 little boys.

     During the weeks since her announcement, I have thought about her often. I have prayed for her, while at the same time I tried to "catch up" with her. Thinking that went something along the lines of, "if I get pregnant this month, the baby will only be five weeks younger than her baby." "If I get pregnant this month, my baby will only be nine weeks younger than her baby." And so on.

      Well, about nine days ago, I received a message from her that she had suffered a miscarriage at 12 weeks and 2 days. My heart broke for my lovely friend and her husband. They are wonderful parents, who love and cherish each of their three boys. She was sooooo excited about the possibility of finally having her much anticipated little girl.  I mourned for her. And the Lord impressed upon me that if I had not let go of my envy about her pregnancy when I received the news and truly been happy for her, I wouldn't have been able to truly mourn her loss.

     I thank God for the gifts of celebrating others and sympathizing with others. It's so important to spend some time outside of the world that is "Mrs. Mocha" and acknowledge that for all of my busyness, other people have lives going on, as well. A bible study teacher once told me, "every face that you look into, belongs to an important person to God." Life is about more than me, and when I get pregnant, and if I get pregnant. Sometimes, it takes a "little shake" to wake you up. Sometimes, it takes a JOLT.

No comments:

Post a Comment